POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Nigel Stewart
Date: 15 Mar 2000 07:36:50
Message: <38CF8393.4C9C700B@nigels.com>
> > At this point, I'm wondering if there is *any*
> > feature-set change I could suggest for POV-Ray and get a favorable
> > response from you.
>
> I actually don't have any objection to the idea of interactive scene
> files, I just don't see how they could be done well in POV-Script and in
> POV-Ray.

	The "base level interface" of POV has always been a command
	line with standard input and standard output available.
	I'm sure the Windows guys can supply you with a dialog box,
	and similarly for other non-text-terminal style incarnations
	could manage this very basic requirement.

> it would just be too difficult to implement in POV-Script

	<disbelief> Huh? </disbelief>

> and impossible to implement in a cross-platform manner

	<amusement> Refer to ANSI C Standard: scanf(...) </amusement>

> And then you have to write the dialog code for Mac and Windows

	No, you provide a hook with sensible default behaviour.
	(if there is no function pointer, don't prompt.  Simple huh?)

> but I don't think that is a good general solution.

	By your definition, there is no such thing as a general
	solution.

> This would be a nice feature, and probably something to think about for
> POV 4.0

	<sarcasm>
	Ooooh.... That's an ambitous goal - a C++ port in order to
	support a prompt.  Good thinking.  Perhaps C++ would also
	help with "general solutions" that don't exist.
	</sarcasm>

> but in the current state of POV is just not very
> plausible. Another good addition to the wish-list, though.

	Wish list?  I just about tempted to hack this into POV
	and post a binary just to prove you wrong. Let's see,
	one reserved word, two numerical parameters, a bit
	of cut-paste-and-edit.  Sounds more than plausible.

--
Nigel Stewart (nig### [at] nigelscom)
Research Student, Software Developer